Saturday, June 19, 2010

Job, the Prodigal Son--I'm SO glad you came!

Somehow, the mantra of our mission came to be, "I'm so glad you came!". We think that this originated with a comment that John kept on saying to Job, in tremendous appreciation for all of his hard work and efforts. Gradually this came to be the Mantra and greeting for the entire team, with a wink and a smile. One of the most beloved members of Team Sinai is Dr. Job Timeny, podiatry resident from Regional Medical Center in New Jersey, who spent a two month rotation with John at Sinai. Job brought to the table not only his work ethic, medical/surgical expertise, but also his linguistic skills. While HAH did supply us with skilled translators, Job had the unique ability to convey the medical issues with the most accuracy due to his understanding of both the medical intricacies as well as the Kreyol language. Job is a native of Cap Hatien, and moved to the USA when he was 16 years old. He graduate from the New York School of Podiatry, and is now a second year surgical podiatry resident. On Wednesday of our mission, he staffed the unusually busy and hectic Clubfoot clinic and applied more clubfoot casts in one morning than he cares to remember.  We can't help but believe that the Haitian patients felt a unique connection to Job, the Prodigal Son, returning to his native land to provide expertise and succor to the sufferring people of Hiati. Job's perspective as a Haitian American is special, and he shared his feelings with the rest of the team on our return in this email.....



Bonjou!
 I thank all of you for your willingness to forsake the American life just for a little while to wipe away a bit of our sorrow. Your dedication to help my country gives me hope that tomorrow can be better; but more than that emboldened me with courage to embrace my reality and be part of the solution. you went to help a nation you could have ignored and blamed for their destiny but instead I saw tears in your eyes and a burning desire to return; I saw your closing eyes that pray for a nap but a huge heart that thought about one more life to save and one more smile to brighten. It was 11:00 PM but the consistency of your steps  made it feel like it was 3:00 PM. I am so glad you came! and I'm sure the Haitian people are saying the same thing but in silence.
I sometimes looked around hoping that someone else of my cultural background would  come to counterbalance the foreign volunteers but my 8 days were spent as the only one helping my owns. I finally realize color and geographic barriers are just metaphors and we are all ONE through the living air that was breathed into us by the Almighty.
I have so many story to tell but one that stands out in my mind is the selfless act of Merrill who gave her own blood to save a Haitian life. I think the instantaneous nature of the decision was enough to make me realize that she was one us as all of you were.
May your blessings be countless and hope to see you soon!

mesi bokou
 

Job Timeny

No comments:

Post a Comment