Thursday, June 2, 2011

Greetings from Ayiti!

Greetings from Ayiti! Day three started with a beautiful Haitian morning, nice and warm way to wake up for the day. I slept like a rock (on my very comfortable cot) and managed to take a few moments to really take in the view of the hills behind the hospital and the chickens as they scavenged among the banana trees next to the hospital. While the day did not fully get rolling as early as many of us had hoped, but it was definitely a full day of work. It was so great to see the ortho/podiatry team doing their thing, pinning, releasing, and casting left and right. I thoroughly enjoyed swinging the C-Arm around and watching the xrays as Dr. Herzenberg, assisted by two Haitians (JJ and Dr. Alexis), placed each pin carefully into a TSF. The most memorable part of the day was seeing a young little girl, tears streaming down her face, gripping her arms around the smiling nurse Cindy. My feet are pretty sore right now. I will take that as a sign that I put in my days work. To quote one team member who was kneeling on the ground just outside the OR, “I feel good right now, I don’t think I can make it up the stairs.” The night ended with a rain storm, bringing coolness to a very hot day. Anyways, another day another dollar. Just kidding!! Its so great to be here, can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment